English Grammar and Exercises for ESL learners.
WHATEVER - WHENEVER - WHEREVER - WHICHEVER -
Whatever, whenever, wherever, whichever, whoever :
If we add -ever to wh-words like what, which, when, where and who,
we change their meaning to :
“it doesn’t matter”, or “no matter” what, which, when, where and who …
Whatever, whenever, wherever, whichever, whoever are used as follows :
Whatever = anything or everything; regardless of what, no matter what
- Whatever you do, don't forget your grandmother's birthday.
- Take whatever you want from the fridge of you're hungry.
- Put that thing away whatever it is!
- She won't listen to you whatever you say.
- Whenever = every time; at
any time; regardless of when, not matter when
- You can borrow my dictionary whenever you like.
- Whenever we plan a picnic it rains!
- He interrupts me whenever I start to speak.
- Whenever I open this cupboard something falls out!
- Wherever = everywhere; regardless of where, no matter where
- Wherever you go you'll always find someone who speaks English.
- She'll be happy wherever she decides to live.
- We'll go on holiday wherever you want to go - you choose!
- My grandfather accompanies my grandmother wherever she goes.
- Whichever = the person or
thing which; regardless of which, no matter which
- Wear whichever shoes are the most comfortable.
- Take whichever one you want.
- Choose whichever earrings you like - it's your birthday!
- Take any book you like - whichever one interests you.
- Whoever = the person who;
regardless of who, no matter who
- Whoever comes with you is welcome.
- Whoever opened the gate didn't close it.
- I don't want to talk to you, - whoever you are!
- I'm so annoyed with whoever borrowed the dictionary and didn't put it back!