English Grammar and Exercises for ESL learners.
Adverbs are used to say
what manner we do something.
• She danced very gracefully.
• The children ran up the stairs noisily.
• They were all chatting happily when we arrived.
• He drove carefully along the icy road.
• The technician explained the problem very clearly.
|Formation of adverbs||Adjective||Adverb|
|Most adverbs are formed
by adding -ly to the adjective :
|For adjectives ending in
-y, -e, -ic,
the adverbs are formed as follows :
Although they end in -ly,
the following words are
NOT adverbs :
friendly, lively, lonely, lovely, silly, ugly
for example : a friendly person, a silly remark, an ugly duckling, and so on ...