Graphs - Charts
Statistics - Results - Trends
and charts are often used to present information and data.
Below you will find useful phrases and vocabulary for
presenting figures and trends.
Presenting Visuals - useful phrases and vocabulary :
- As you will see from this graph ...
- I'd like to show you this
chart on which you will see ...
- Let me draw your attention
to this part of the graph.
- Let's look more closely at
this month's figures.
- This figure refers to the
sales in China only.
- This pie chart shows our
share of the European market today.
- As you can see, our main
competitor has an even bigger share.
- The bar chart represents
sales in our Asian outlets.
- Here you can see a
comparison between ...
- On the line graph you will
- a strong upward trend in the sales of
product A ...
- despite occasional fluctuations ...
- with a slight drop during the
holiday season ...
- with occasional variations due to ...
- the overall performance of product B is
- The initial surge in sales was
followed by a period
of slower growth
in the second half of the year.
- The instant success of the product
was followed by a
period of stability in the level of sales.
Commenting trends - useful phrases :
- an increase of
about/roughly/approximately/in the region of
- a little over/above what we predicted
- the recovery/upturn began in (month)
- an overall increase in ...
- an upward trend in the demand for ...
- sales reached record levels / reached a
peak in (month)
- a strong surge in the sales of ...
- by (month), the figure had risen to ...
- we predict that sales will soar in the
coming year / over the next ... months
- Decreases :
under our target
- way below our expectations
- a slight / notable / significant
decrease in ...
- the downturn began in (month)
- the situation began to deteriorate in
- the number has continued to fall
- Fluctuations :
slow start developed into steady progress in
- an initial upward trend was followed by
- we note slight fluctuations through the
- normal seasonal variations are the cause
of occasional downward trends
- sales have been (rather) irregular
- the level / the rate has been unstable
- you will note a certain instability in
the rate of ...
Conclusions - useful phrases :
- We must focus our
attention on ...
- What I suggest is ...
- There is a necessity
- We need more ...
- We have no choice but
- Appropriate measures
must be taken
- The only option we have
is to ...
- These changes are
- We will have to revise
- The result / outcome
will be ...
- I strongly recommend
- To conclude, I am happy
/ I regret to announce that ...